Thanks so much for contacting your legislators about transit funding, Supporter!
The debate is still ongoing at the state Capitol right now, so we need your help once again.
Please take a few minutes to CALL legislative leaders TODAY:
- Call House Speaker Jase Bolger at 517-373-1787 and urge him to support the Senate bill to fund the full transportation system!
- Call Senate Majority Leader Randy Richardville at 517-373-3543. Thank him for funding the full transportation system and urge him to stand strong in negotiations!
- Call Governor Rick Snyder at 517-335-7858. Thank him for his dedication to funding the full transportation system and urge him to stand strong in negotiations!
In addition to important funding for road repairs, the Senate bill would provide $150 million a year in new state funding for transit. That could mean more buses running more often throughout all of Michigan!
Instead, Speaker Bolger is still pushing to take money away from transit, cities, and schools to fund roads.
They have to decide in the next day or two or there won't be any transportation funding package at all. Road builders are fighting hard to get something through. We need to fight even harder to make sure it funds not only road repairs, but new buses, Amtrak train service, bike trails, and more.
Please take 5 minutes to make those calls today!
Also, if you haven't yet, please urge your friends and family all throughout Michigan to contact their legislators as well. Urge them to take action today to support funding the full transportation system.
You can forward this email, spread the word via Facebook, retweet our tweets, or whatever other means you perfer. Legislators from every part of Michigan will decide the fate our transportation funding. Help make sure they hear how important this is!
They’ve only got a few days to decide, so please take action today!
TRU’s Recommended Talking Points
However you communicate with our state decision-makers, there are a few main points that are essential to get across:
- Michigan’s transportation system needs additional new funding to repair our roads and preserve transit. Decades of disinvestment have left our infrastructure in shambles and that’s costing us even more!
- Michigan must invest in the full transportation system, NOT leave out buses, trains, trails, and other essential ways people get around. All funding must go through the “Act 51 formula.”
- Transportation funding should NOT come at the expense of schools and cities. We must invest in all the things that can make Michigan great, not rob Peter to pay Paul.
Additional background information and materials are available online and at Trans4M.org. In short:
Governor Snyder proposed and a bi-partisan Michigan Senate passed a critical transportation funding bill last month which would repair Michigan’s crumbling roads AND make the first new state investment in public transit in decades! This would cost less than $10 a month in supplemental gas taxes, which is a reasonable investment in quality infrastructure. This strong bill only needed the House to concur.
Instead, the Michigan House voted along party lines to GUT public transit funding and undermine the long-standing practice of funding the full transportation system together. They're bill would take money away from transit, schools, and cities, ultimately robbing Peter to pay Paul.
Use our easy online action tool to urge state leaders to support new funding for our full transportation system!
Thanks for your ongoing interest and support!
PS - You are subscribed to Transportation Riders United's email list. TRU is Detroit's nonprofit transit advocate, working since 1999 to improve bus service, remove barriers to rapid transit, and advocate for smart transportation investments
If this was forwarded from a friend, you can join our email list and receive these updates directly every week or two.