Transit really needs your help today, Supporter!
Michigan leaders will decide THIS WEEK whether to support or to gut state transit funding.
Please take action today to support funding the full transportation system.
Governor Snyder proposed and a bi-partisan Michigan Senate passed a critical transportation funding bill last month which would repair Michigan’s crumbling roads AND make the first new state investment in public transit in decades! This strong bill only needed the House to concur.
Instead, the Michigan House voted along party lines to GUT public transit funding and undermine the long-standing practice of funding the full transportation system together.
Please ACT NOW :
1) Use our easy online action tool to urge state leaders to support new funding for our full transportation system!
(If you know who represents you, phone calls are even more impactful!!)
2) Urge your friends and family elsewhere in Michigan to contact their legislators as well!!
You can forward this email, spread the word via Facebook, retweet our tweets, or whatever other means you perfer. Legislators from every part of Michigan will decide the fate our transportation funding. Help make sure they hear how important this is!
3) Go to Lansing and talk to your legislators in person.
Join TRU and advocates from across the state at the Transportation for Michigan Transportation Advocacy Day in Lansing this Wednesday, Dec 10. RSVP today and get talking points and other important details.
They’ve only got a few days to decide, so please take action today!
TRU’s Recommended Talking Points
However you communicate with our state decision-makers, there are a few main points that are essential to get across:
- Michigan’s transportation system needs additional new funding to repair our roads and improve transit. Decades of disinvestment have left our infrastructure in shambles and that’s costing us even more!
- Michigan must invest in the full transportation system, NOT leave out buses, trains, trails, and other essential ways people get around. All funding must go through the “Act 51 formula.”
- Transportation funding should NOT come at the expense of schools and cities. We must invest in all the things that can make Michigan great, not rob Peter to pay Paul.
Additional background information and materials are available online.
Thanks for your ongoing interest and support!
PS - You are subscribed to Transportation Riders United's email list. TRU is Detroit's nonprofit transit advocate, working since 1999 to improve bus service, remove barriers to rapid transit, and advocate for smart transportation investments
If this was forwarded from a friend, you can join our email list and receive these updates directly every week or two.