We're down to the final push Supporter for the SMART millage vote!! I've got just a few final updates and asks for you to make sure we can Keep SMART Rolling! Let's countdown:
5) Please volunteer a few hours on election day to hand out information to voters. We've identified priority polling places where you can have the greatest impact. You can also work your own polling place if you prefer. Sign up with our online form or contact me for more information. Thanks!
4) Learn more: If you (or anyone you know) are still undecided, join (or invite them to join) a telephone town hall this evening, Sunday 8/3, at 7:00 - 7:30pm.
The Almagamated Transit Union and MOSES are hosting a telephone town hall to educate the public about the SMART bus millage proposal. Speakers include:
- Larry Hanley, President, Almagamated Transit Union International
- Heaster Wheeler, Assistant CEO, Wayne County Executive
- Rev. John Hice, Senior Pastor, First United Methodist Church
- CeCe Grant, Executive Director, Americans for Transit
The toll free number to dial into the call is 888-409-5380. Following the presentaton, speakers will take questions from callers.
3) Check out some recent media coverage of the SMART millage vote:
Macomb Daily:SMART bus system will grind to halt without approval
Fox News: Let It Rip Weekend (Sunday morning talk show): SMART Bus Millage debate, featuring me and Leon Drolet
Observer & Eccentric: Vote yes on Prop 1, SMART: Wayne County Public Transportation (SMART) Millage
Hometown Life: Voters should support SMART system: Public transportation important to region
Spotlight on the News (Sunday morning talk show): SMART Millage, featuring John Hertel
2) Remember to Vote yourself!!
Life can get busy, so make sure you schedule time to vote. Polls are open Tuesday from 7am-8pm. What time will work best in your schedule? You can also double check where you vote at Michigan.gov/Vote.
And last, but certainly not least:
1) Once you vote, tell your friends!
Change your profile pic or share an image on Facebook or Twitter to quickly tell your friends that you voted. You can use and share our images, make them your profile pic, or use your own creative ideas for status messages, images, and otherwise spreading the word!
Remember, even if you don't ride SMART, you rely upon someone who does—whether it's a loved one, your child's teacher, your favorite barista, or an emergency room nurse. Thanks for your help!!
PS - You are subscribed to Transportation Riders United's email list. TRU is Detroit's nonprofit transit advocate, working since 1999 to improve bus service, remove barriers to rapid transit, and advocate for smart transportation investments.
Apologies for those outside of the SMART service area for all the focus on SMART. After next week, these emails will return to broader topics. Thanks for your patience during this important campaign!
If this was forwarded from a friend, you can join our email list and receive these updates directly every week or two.