Happy Monday Supporter! Updates on two RTAs today - the Regional Transit Authority bills are close to passing and a recap of TRU's Regional Transit Awards dinner. Read on for details . . .
Progress and Challenges on RTA bills, Help Seek Outstate Support
Thanks so much for your calls and emails to your legislators on the RTA. Over 250 people have sent RTA support messages in the past few weeks! And it has made a big difference. Almost all of our Detroit area legislators are now on board with the RTA!!
However, we need the full Michigan legislature, particularly a majority of Senate Republicans, to pass it and many Senators from outside our region are still undecided.
Two essential ways you can help:
1) If you have friends from elsewhere in Michigan (ie Jackson, Traverse City, Kalamazoo), please ask them to email their legislators to support the RTA. I've set up an easy tell-a-friend tool you can use. It takes two minutes and can really help!
2) We've also got a new action alert for bus riders and other transit advocates from the Detroit area to email those outstate legislators and explain why the RTA is so important to us and for our region. Your personal story could make a big impact as well
Thanks so much for your help to date. We're really close to a win. Let's keep up all the great work!
Back to top
Join me in Congratulating the Winners of TRU's Regional Transit Awards!
Thank you so much to everyone who made our Regional Transit Awards dinner a great success! Over 150 people enjoyed the reception, silent auction, dinner, and awards ceremony. Photographs and additional details coming soon.
Join me in congratulating the Award winners:
- Forward Motion Award for the Most Effective Public Servant: Senator Tom Casperson (R – UP), RTA bill sponsor and Transportation Committee Chair
- Transit Activist of the Year: Patty Fedewa, TRU's lead bus advocate
- Corporate Transit Champion: Quicken Loans on behalf of M-1 Rail
- Exemplary Regionalism & Innovation Award: Transform Woodward (the Transit Oriented Development Task Force of the Woodward Avenue Action Association)
- Transit Employee of the Year: Michael Patten, SMART’s ADA Coordinator
- Plus a special Lifetime Achievement Award: The Kendrick-Hands family
Please join me in thanking and recognizing all twenty individuals, organizations, and companies that were nominated for the Regional Transit Awards. They have all worked passionately and diligently for more and better transit throughout greater Detroit over the past year and beyond
This list was developed through an open call for nominations, then narrowed down to four in each category by TRU’s Awards team (and excluding current TRU Board members and staff). An independant panel of judges decided the winners, utilizing their expertise in transit, policy, philathrapy, economic development, and more.
Please keep the conversation going - "like" our Facebook page Support Detroit Transit and provide your comments and ideas!
Let me know what you think of the new look and new tools. As always, you can reach us at the TRU office at 313-963-8872 or email me at MOwens@DetroitTransit.org.
PS - You are subscribed to Transportation Riders United's email list. TRU is Detroit's nonprofit transit advocate, dedicated since 1999 to improving bus service, removing barriers to rapid transit, and advocating for smart transportation investments.
Click here to unsubscribe or change email frequency.